Страницы

11/29/2015

Bound (Arelia LaRue #1) by Kira Saito

This was a great introduction for an indie author. The author wrote each character distinctively; each has flaws or traits that made it easy for me to relate to on some level. At least one character was more mysterious than the others, creating a bit of intrigue. I liked that each character had their own issues. It made them more real for me as no one is perfect. The main character can be a bit impetuous and rude, but it was apparent to me that these reactions were defense mechanisms born out of her life experiences, and as such, made her all the more believable.

I especially loved the amount of information the author imparted about voodoo/hoodoo. Most books that speak of voodoo/hoodoo, do so in a very superficial or vague way. There's usually only basic references to the most pop-cultural aspects of voodoo, such as queens, spirits, gris-gris and, of course, dolls. This book was completely different. It's obvious the author spent a lot of time researching the subject. It made for a more fascinating read. The author describes the spirits, both in appearance and in aspects of their magical domains. She even goes into surface details about the uses and various components to make charms or spells. All of which drew my interest more deeply into the book.
I will definitely read the next book soon!