Страницы

11/27/2015

Breakers by Edward W. Robertson

This is one of those books that I feel like I stole because I only paid 99¢. The story begins with a flu pandemic. Then an alien space craft appears over the ocean in Southern California. It quickly becomes apparent they brought the plague.
There are three main characters--Walt, who decides to walk from New York to California after his actress girlfriend dies from the flu--and a married couple, Raymond and Mia, who do their best to survive right under the glare of the alien mothership. Walt is by far the best character. He starts off as a doubtful, suicidal wimp and over 3,000 miles turns into the hero who doesn't care about being a hero. His sarcastic of humor lends some real brevity to the story.
The descriptions of the aliens and their actions didn't fill me with terror but there was enough action on their part to give me a growing sense of dread that the remaining humans would gradually be extinguished and this would be one of those stories where the aliens win. Eventually our characters meet but to say any more would spoil the story. I will say that when I got to the end, I wondered why he had a second and even third book but quickly realized so many questions hadn't been answered by the first book.