Страницы

1/10/2016

Dark Confessions of an Extraordinary, Ordinary Woman by Jenn Sadai

For young adult/coming-of-age readers, I have to say right away – this is a different kind of story. And I think it has that much more value for its realism, honesty, and personal character.
While I do like the usual fiction YA with all the high-school drama and love triangles, sometimes these books seem too sweet and refined. Predictable. They seldom touch the real problems, the hard ones, the dangerous ones; the ones that people prefer not to dwell on because of their depressing nature. This story is raw and gritty, and it’s that much more powerful because it’s based on the author’s personal experience. Of course, it’s a memoir, not a fiction, but it reads smoothly, and I never wanted to put the book down.
I think it’s important that teenagers and young adults read books like this even if they don’t have this kind of problems. It’ll give them perspective and understanding of how difficult it is to deal with something like this and how important it is to stop at any moment, no matter how much they already hate themselves for something they’ve done. It’s a reminder that there’s always someone out there who’s suffering more than you, and that there’s a way out for everyone. A way to love yourself and get inspired and forgive your mistakes so you can move on and find your confidence once again.
It’s also a book for those who are struggling with abusive relationships. I can’t say I’ve been there, but I did have an abusive boyfriend who was totally okay with verbal bullying and didn’t even notice just how awful he was. It was a much simpler situation, and I guess I needed it to remind me of self-respect and self-compassion. And still, I had some troubles letting go of the situation. I can’t even imagine how much more difficult it is with physical abuse.
Overall, I happily give this book 5 stars and recommend it to anyone who finds the subject interesting!