Страницы

1/13/2016

Escape From B-Movie Hell by M T McGuire

Escape From B-Movie Hell falls into many genres. If I had to pick a few, I’d say it’s a British comedy sci-fi adventure, and plus, it’s also YA. The reason why I decided to give it a try is that I’ve been kind of tired of the usual YA books lately, and this sounded like a light, easy read. I was not disappointed!
First off, while the main protagonist here has to deal with a serious problem (annihilation of the human race, duh), the book has all the fun and cheerful tone of Futurama (which I love). Yes, sometimes it’s weird, but that’s the point, because it’s the ground for original humor. There’s a fine line between ridiculous scenes and subtle humor of the situation.
I totally enjoyed the diversity of characters here, and I’m not talking race or sexual orientation (which is kind of a hot subject in literature at the moment), but alien creatures that were well-developed and fun to read about. Eric would be my favorite. It’s just such a breath of fresh air, to read about a funny alien character! Andi’s great too – she’s strong and smart and witty, and to my relief, she didn’t turn out annoying, like it often happens in YA books. There must be something wrong with me – I just don’t like girls that much :D
There are some serious ideas in the book as well, and I always like that in a YA story, but they don’t overtake it, turning it into something tedious. The author definitely has a potential and a unique voice, and I hope we’ll get to read more great books for teenagers from her!